Skip to main content

Lilium Tigrinum

Hello!

For a while now, I've been wanting to try a more artistic/painterly style of nail art but wasn't at all sure where to begin!! After looking through some amazing tutorials and tips by super talented nail bloggers ('Precious Polish', 'Will Paint Nails For Food', etc.), I gained the courage to have a go :) Here's how my first attempt turned out;


The original imagery that I used for inspiration was already in a watercolour style rather than an actual photo so the colours are different to a natural Tiger Lily.
I started with OPI Liquid Sand 'What Wizadry Is This?' on all my nails except for my thumb and ring nails, where I used Essie 'Sand Tropez'.


Using a small detail brush and a mix of Barry M 'Peach Melba', Zoya 'Addison' and Essie 'Sand Tropez', I sketched out the shape of each flower on my thumb and ring nails. I added nail polish remover to the nail polish mix so that it was easier to work with!


For the next step, I pretty much built the image up in layers using the small detail brush. I started with paler nail polishes and worked my way up to the darker ones. There was a whole load of mixing and layering going on so I'll just give you the main nail polishes I used: Essie 'Blanc', Barry M 'Peach Melba', Zoya 'Addison', Champneys 'Chestnut', Kolor 'Russet' and Revlon Dark Pleasures 'Scarlet Letter'.


I then went back in with my striping brush to add detail and definition (like the stamen) with Champneys 'Mulberry' and OPI Liquid Sand 'What Wizadry Is This?'. For the teensy bits of stem I used Zoya 'Gemma' and the small detail brush. I finished it off with a coat of Essie 'No Chips Ahead' on just the flower nails! And it didn't smudge- hurrah for Essie!!!!


Although this manicure didn't come out quite how I imagined, it's pretty okay for a first try! I love how the Liquid Sand looks with the Tiger Lily accents though, so unusual!! What do you think about my first foray into artistic nail art??

Thanks for reading :)

Kayleigh

Comments

Favourites

The Beauty That Is Striping Tape

Encounters Of The Triangular Kind

Dipping A Toe Into The World Of Franken Polishes. . .